Jump to main content
  • Men' Six Nations
  • Womens
  • U20 Six Nations
France finish unbeaten as Wales and England sign off in style

France finish unbeaten as Wales and England sign off in style

France finish unbeaten as Wales and England sign off in style

France finished the Men’s Under-18s Six Nations Festival unbeaten while Wales and England also claimed victories on the final day of the tournament.

Wales set the tone for a pulsating day’s play with a dramatic win over Scotland before France cruised past Italy to secure their third win in as many matches.

A large crowd gathered to cheer on hosts Ireland in the competition finale but England more than spoiled the party, winning big as the sun set in Dublin.

Wales and Scotland go toe-to-toe in thriller

Wales edged Scotland 35-29 in a thrilling start to the final day.

The lead changed hands throughout an absorbing nine-try contest which ended with Wales celebrating their first win of the competition.

Scotland had earlier hit the front inside two minutes after an excellent pick up from hooker Seb Stephen who crashed over in front of the posts.

The sides then exchanged penalties before a delicious offload from Wales flanker Kyle Harris allowed Kodie Stone to race clear and touch down in the corner.

It was Scotland though who enjoyed much of the play in a lively first half but they were unable to break through a resolute defence and were punished for their profligacy on the stroke of half time.

Harri Wilde added his second penalty before Scotland’s Freddy Douglas was sent to the sin bin. Wales made the most of the man advantage, going wide to score through full-back Scott Delnevo, who had been a late call up to start.

That flurry of late points put the red corner of Energia Park 18-10 in front at half time but their lead evaporated just as quickly as it had formed after a chaotic start to the second period.

Johnny Ventisei scored after charging down a clearance kick from fly-half Wilde before the ever-threatening Samuel Rockley danced his way through to give Scotland a four-point lead.

But Wales soon reclaimed the initiative through hooker Evan Wood and then stretched their lead to 10 points when Steffan Emanuel tiptoed his way to the line.

Scotland’s Stephen crossed for his second to leave just a point between the sides heading into the final twenty minutes but Wales responded again through replacement prop Sam Scott and managed the closing stages well to finish their campaign with a memorable win.

France dazzle against Italy

France brushed Italy aside 57-17 in a relentless display to preserve their unbeaten record.

Fabien Brau Boirie scored twice and Johan Wasserman scored for the third successive match as Les Bleuets delivered a dominant performance in Donnybrook.

The rampage began after just six minutes with France seizing on an Italian handling error on the edge of their own 22 to score through Sialevailea Tolofua.

Thibaut Motassi then finished off a second try just moments later after some fabulous backs play before Jon Echegaray walked in their third on 13 minutes.

The centres then combined for a fantastic fourth with the mercurial Kalvin Gourgues offloading to Brau Boirie who muscled home under the sticks.

The forwards had grown tired of watching their colleagues shine and took matters into their own hands, forming an unstoppable driving maul which Lyam Akrab finished off to make it 29-0 after 24 minutes.

Wasserman then grabbed his first of the afternoon with a sublime step and finish before Italy offered a retort through captain Pietro Gritti whose score made it 36-5 at half time.

Brau Boirie then notched his second before Gritti, who led from the front on a difficult afternoon for Le Azzurre, followed suit with his second try.

The French replacements arrived to add a little more firepower with Edouard Junior Jabea Njocke bulldozing his way over before Wasserman danced through again.

Italy’s No.8 Giacomo Milano had the final say, going over in the corner late on at the end of an otherwise difficult afternoon for the men in white.

England outgun hosts Ireland

England delivered an assured display to run out 56-14 winners in a full-blooded contest against hosts Ireland.

Archie McParland and Kepueli Tuipulotu both registered doubles as England scored nine tries in an empathic showing.

Centre Charlie Myall scored England’s first after just four minutes after he was picked out by a brilliant miss pass from fly-half Josh Bellamy.

Conor Byrne then added a second, touching down in the corner with Ben Redshaw adding the extras from out wide having missed a more presentable conversion moments earlier.

A cheap penalty for offside allowed Ireland a rare entry into England’s 22 and though they were initially held up they soon burst through after a sensational piece of individual skill from full-back Todd Lawlor.

Picking the ball up from deep, the full-back chased down his own grubber before offloading to Paidi Farrell who coasted home to score under the posts.

Byrne then produced an equally brilliant moment of magic to put England back in control, with a scintillating step before a perfectly weighted chip which wing Ned McCormack latched onto to score with the touchline approaching.

Hooker Tuipulotu then broke the line with a brilliant run and powerful finish before captain Redshaw added a long-range penalty to put England 25-7 ahead after half an hour.

And they were just as composed in defence as they were in attack, holding out on the cusp of half time despite a yellow card for second row Junior Kpoku and some immense Ireland pressure.

England kept their foot on the throttle after the interval, with prop Billy Sela crossing from a close-range tap penalty.

Scrum-half McParland then weighed in with a couple of tries, capitalising on tired Irish bodies before Tuipulotu crossed for his second.

Bryan Walsh grabbed a consolation for Ireland but there was still time for one last England try, replacement Charlie Griffin rounding off a phenomenal England performance as they closed out their campaign with a memorable second victory.